Activated Alumina as Desiccant
Activated Alumina is a widely used desiccant. It is available in beads, balls and granular forms. In all these three forms, the desiccant has different uses. The huge demand for Activated Alumina can be attributed to its highly porous structure, greater surface area-to-mass ratio, pole molecular absorbent property, high selectivity, more absorbent rate, and greater resistance to thermal shock. Not only these, there are other properties as well, which make Activated Alumina a highly sought-after desiccant. These include bringing down the cost of production, reduce operating costs and energy usages. Now you know why companies prefer Activated Alumina over any other desiccant.
Activated Alumina Balls
In the ball form, Activated Alumina desiccant displays lower abrasion, more strength, lesser cracks, no powdery and no expansion. Activated Alumina balls are also high in quality, have large combined capacity and are highly durable. Other favorable properties are that the Activated Alumina Balls are insoluble in water and dissolve in strong acids. They also do not split water, can withstand high temperature and show resistance to visualization poisoning.
These features are ideal for drying of various organic liquids and for removing pollution materials like paraffin, HF and H2S, SO2 from water meant for drinking and household purposes.
Activated Alumina Balls in Drying Organic Liquids
As mentioned earlier, Activated Alumina Balls are ideal for the purpose of deep drying organic liquids. Gas drying Activated Alumina is used on ethylene, cracked gas and propylene. It also finds use in instrument air drying and air separation for H2O2.
The drying of liquids and gases by Activated Alumina can be divided into the following:
1) Drying organic liquids like Liquid Petroleum Gas, propylene, butane among others.
2) Drying steam cracked liquids like cyclohexane, gasoline, chlorine and fluorinated hydrocarbons, aromatic solvents, etc.
3) Drying moisture-laden air and gases like cracked gases, catalytic reforming recycle gas, synthesis gas, methyl chloride, natural gas and Liquid Petroleum Gas.
4) Effective removal of metallic traces, BF3, TBC, HCl, HF and fluorinated hydrocarbons from various gases and liquids.
5) Effective drying of hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen and CO2 among others.
6) Activated Alumina is used for air drying (PSA,TSA) and air separation purposes.
7) Gas drying in air separation plants. Helps dry inert/rare gases and common ones like hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, CO2.
8) Effective as a catalyst for claus conversion in sub dew point operations.
All the above mentioned uses thereby showcase the effectiveness of Activated Alumina balls in drying organic liquids.